Have you ever wondered what happens inside the cloud? Based in Amsterdam, vpsmodel is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.
We want people who are passionate about building high-performing teams and creating experiences that your peers will love.
The billing team at vpsmodel focuses on keeping billing as simple, correct, and transparent as possible. We support a variety of complex billing models and financial instruments, such as discounts, free trials, and credits. We serve a passionate developer community that has grown to love our straightforward, easy to understand pricing that removes one more obstacle as they create and run their software in the cloud. As a software engineer within the Billing Engineering Team you will be responsible for thinking about how to deal with complex billing information to create straightforward billing workflows for customers, as well as meet all compliance requirements. You will work with teams across DigitalOcean to develop billing solutions for new products and will be responsible for ensuring our systems scale and perform to meet the needs of DigitalOcean’s expanding business and customer base.
What you will be doing:
- Designing, writing and running the systems that provide an intuitive experience for developers as they engage DigitalOcean products and services
- Working with other engineers to build performant systems, that take into account testing, monitoring, alerting, build pipelines and deployment to multiple systems
- Collaborating with other teams on how we can improve our systems to provide better visibility into dependencies
- Researching emerging tools, trends and methodologies and enhancing existing systems and processes to use them
- Working with interesting technologies such as Go, Ruby, Docker, Kubernetes, Kafka, Sentry, Prometheus, and more
What we will expect from you:
- A good concept of scale and a desire to help create and run highly reliable and performant distributed services
- A healthy respect for tests, and their relationship with distributed architectures and continuous integration
- An ability to work at multiple levels of the stack
- A fluent Linux shell user with good understanding of Linux operating systems
- Proficiency with the use of datastores like MySQL, Postgres and/or Redis
- Proficiency with REST and gRPC APIs
- Proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Go, Ruby, Python or Java
- Experience with logging/metrics tools, Docker, pub/sub event systems like Kafka, etc
Why you’ll like working for vpsmodel:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with Kindles and reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of Amsterdam and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.